Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Why Teach?


Why do people choose to teach? Everybody is different and have different motives behind their reasons for teaching. I feel as if each reason strongly depends on your experiences and who you are as a person. As I grew up I discovered more and more that I had a love for children with disabilities. Being able to change someone's life in such a large way is just an incredible feeling.

"I want to teach because students deserve a teacher who really cares about them and wants them to do their best. A lot of people want to teach because of the intrinsic rewards that come with teaching. I want to teach because I love working with students and being a part of their lives. I care about the youth of the world, and I want to help them learn and prosper in any way I can. I also want to teach because I honestly can't see myself doing anything else with my life than teaching." (http://www.helium.com/items/754635-why-do-teachers-want-to-teach)

"7. Autonomy in the Classroom
Once a teacher closes that door each day and begins teaching, they really are the ones who decide what's going to happen. Not many jobs provide an individual with so much room to be creative and autonomous each day. 8. Conducive to Family Life
If you have children, the school calendar will typically allow you to have the same days off as your kids. Further, while you might bring work home with you to grade, you will probably be getting home close to the same time as your children."
(http://712educators.about.com/od/teacherresources/tp/teachergood.htm)

As I researched, I discovered that some people teach to make a difference in the future, touch lives forever, and many teachers teach because they want to be that teacher that really cares. Another article I researched, it was said that most people enjoy being their own boss. Although teachers have people who are above them, they are more or less the boss of their classroom. It is also common that most people become teachers because it works well and makes it possible to become a parent. All of these reasons are valid and logical. One reason I researched was a very important one to me. I love kids and want to have a family of my own and having a job where you have the same days off and the same schedule as your children is extremely lucky.

The picture that I chose is of me and two students in my special needs class. Becoming a teacher and coming in to see these faces everyday just kept me motivated. Whether my day started off on the wrong foot or I was just being a complete grouch, it didn't matter because they made everything better. I was always happier seeing those kids. I have to admit that I would get notes to get out of my classes in high school and go down to that classroom just to get a break from my day (every period :)

No comments:

Post a Comment